The Nines is a LEED Certified Hotel. Reducing our carbon footprint and increasing sustainable practices is a top priority.
During the recently completed guestroom renovation, our Downtown Portland hotel donated all materials and furniture from this makeover to various charitable sources. Our restaurants partner with Urban Gleaners donating unused food, reducing food waste and helping lessen food scarcity for the community.
Our Sustainability and Corporate Responsibility Initiatives
Portland is one of the greenest cities, and as an active member supporting the community in which we thrive, we have implemented some sustainability initiatives, including:
- Sustainable Purchasing Plan
- 80% recycling rate (80% of our waste is diverted from the landfill)
- Energy-saving LEDS for all property lights
- Energy monitoring strategies
- Building management system that allows scheduling of HVAC and lighting controls
- Building Commissioning Plan to ensure an energy-efficient operation
- Guestroom Smart energy-saving thermostats
- Energy Star flat panel televisions
- Water-efficient dual flush toilets
- Smart Thermostats – Energy saving thermostats provide cooling when our guests are in their rooms and in our meeting spaces
- Bio-Diversity – Our Marriott “Make a Green Choice” housekeeping service initiative allows our guests to decline service during their stay in lieu of 500 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus points to help save on energy and resources.
- E-Folio – We are helping our environment by only printing our guest folios upon request
- Mobile Check-in and out- Lowers the amount of paper waste when checking in and out
- Reducing our carbon footprint – We use mounted toiletries dispensers instead of individual bottles
- Social Policies- The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel has a CARE Committee committed to community outreach and support.
- Other – The Nines and its Associates fundraises through the Social Responsibility Committee (CARE) with proceeds going to Hotel selected charities, most recently providing a summer camp scholarship
- 7-story atrium with large skylight to bring in natural light
- Energy-efficient elevators
- Energy-saving variable speed kitchen hoods in our kitchens
- Honey production from our rooftop beehives
- Rooftop garden with water collection system
- On-site mushroom growing
- All materials and furniture from renovations donated to charitable sources
- Partnering with Urban Gleaners reducing food waste and food scarcity
- Herb garden for restaurant
Shared Interest with our Ownership, Pebblebrook Hotel Trust
63% of our properties have a sustainability coordinator or green champion
80% of our properties have meeting rooms with digital thermostats
98% of our properties have a preventative maintenance plan that checks building energy and water equipment at least quarterly
61% of our properties have a water efficiency program
94% of our properties have faucets with low-flow aerators to conserve water
48% of our properties have eliminated single-use plastics (or reduced to an absolute minimum) from the property
74% of our properties have eliminated plastic straws
65% of our properties have implemented a food waste prevention strategy
Nearly $19 million invested on environmental initiatives
PEB 5-Star Promise Statement
Pebblebrook Hotel Trust (“Pebblebrook”) strongly supports AHLA’s 5-Star Promise. Our pledge to AHLA complements the practices and policies in-place by our company and our hotel operating partners which are designed to ensure that the hotel employees at our more than 50 owned hotels across the United States abide by the law, respect individual’s rights, and do not tolerate sexual harassment of any type at our properties. We have dedicated a significant amount of resources to assist our hotel operators with sexual harassment awareness training and avoidance programs, in addition to training and resources to prevent human trafficking. We will continue to engage with our hotel operators to provide the resources to further assist them in ensuring the safety of our hotel employees and our guests. Pebblebrook (Modafinil) is committed to funding the purchase of hotel employee safety devices for use at all of our owned hotels by the end of 2020, as well as to provide funding for additional training and education programs on sexual harassment and human trafficking at our corporate level and our hotel properties. Through our pledge to the 5-Star Promise, Pebblebrook intends to contribute to positive, industry-wide improvements to continue to make hotels a safe place for all our employees and guests.